Our highly skilled team of surgeons, nurses and technologists at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center specialize in wide range of outpatient surgical procedures. Select the specialty of interest to view some of the more common surgeries performed in the center and a list of our provides in that specialty.
Our Anesthesia Team
Anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists will administer the anesthesia for surgical procedures. All of our anesthesiologists have special training in pediatrics and are experienced in putting the child and the family at ease. The pediatric anesthesiologists complete additional specialty training to monitor and care for your child. In addition, the surgical program is structured around providing the highest level of care in a child-friendly environment.
Before surgery, patients make their first stop at the Bunny Tunnel, where they can select a toy to be with them before, during and after surgery. Next stop is the surgery room where each child can select his or her favorite flavor of anesthetic - root beer, bubble gum and cherry are a few popular options.
These pediatric anesthesiologists work with nurse anesthetists to provide a full range of services. All surgical cases performed at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center use the services of pediatric anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists under the supervision of anesthesiologists.
What is anesthesia?
During surgery, your child will be given some form of anesthesia - medication administered for the relief of pain and sensation during surgery. The type and dosage of anesthesia is administered by the anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist. When your child is scheduled for surgery, you and your child will meet with the anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist before the procedure. The anesthesiologist will review your child's medical condition and history to plan the appropriate anesthetic for surgery.
What are the different types of anesthesia?
There are various forms of anesthesia. The type of anesthesia your child will receive will depend on the type of surgery and your child's medical condition. The different types of anesthesia include the following:
- local anesthesia - local anesthesia is an anesthetic agent given to temporarily stop the sense of pain in a particular area of the body. A patient remains conscious during a local anesthetic. For minor surgery, a local anesthetic can be administered via injection to the site. However, when a large area needs to be numbed, or if a local anesthetic injection will not penetrate deep enough, physicians may use regional anesthetics.
- caudal anesthesia - Caudal anesthesia, also known as a caudal epidural block, is a method of providing anesthesia that is generally used for pediatrics. This anesthesia method is used for pain relief and to provide numbness below the umbilicus, or belly button. It can be used alone or with other types of anesthesia. It is used to completely block out nerve sensation, so that the patient is completely relieved of the possibility of pain. The caudal canal is the sacral part of the spinal canal near the lower spine. A caudal block is given by injection into the caudal canal. The patient will be given another form of pain medication to treat discomfort after the caudal block has worn off.
- general anesthesia - general anesthesia is an anesthetic used to induce unconsciousness during surgery. The medication is either inhaled through a breathing mask or tube, or administered through an intravenous line (a thin plastic tube inserted into a vein, usually in the patient's forearm). A breathing tube may be inserted into the windpipe to maintain proper breathing during surgery. Once the surgery is complete, the anesthesiologist ceases the anesthetic and the patient wakes up in the recovery room.
Once the surgery is complete, the anesthesiologist stops the anesthetic, the medication wears off, and the patient gradually wakes up in the operating room. Complete recovery from anesthesia continues in the recovery room. Expect your child to be sleepy and to doze off often.
Click HERE for a list of Anesthesiologists that practice at this center.
Plastic surgery is defined as a specialty dedicated to the surgical repair of physical imperfections, which may be related to form and/or function. Our plastic surgeons perform reconstructive and cosmetic surgeries for children and adolescents. Conditions treated at Le Bonheur East include:
- Breast and vascular abnormalities
- Cleft lip and palate
- Skin graft/debridment
- Ear reconstruction
- Scar revisions
- Excision of lesions
- Removal of extra digit
Click HERE for a list of physicians that practice at this center.
We provide both primary and comprehensive preventive and restorative oral health care for infants through adolescence. The evaluation and treatment of children with special needs is also provided, as is care for children requiring specialized dental attention. Procedures and treatments include:
- Restoration and replacement of teeth
- Management of soft and hard tissue pathology
- Pulp therapy
- Traumatized primary and permanent teeth
- Sedation for young or uneasy patients
- Guidance of the developing occlusion
- Dental Restorations
- Oral Extractions
- Composite Fillings
Click HERE for a list of Dental Surgeons that practice at this center.
Pediatric gastroenterologists at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center perform endoscopic procedures, including esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) and flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy. If the procedure should require anesthesia, pediatric anesthesiologists and/or nurse anesthetists are involved. The gastroenterology team treats a broad spectrum of pediatric gastroenterological issues. Common conditions our pediatric gastroenterologists provide treatment for are as follows, but not limited to:
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Feeding and swallowing disorders
- Food allergies, including celiac disease
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease
- Liver disease
- Nutritional problems
- Pancreatic insufficiency, including cystic fibrosis
- Short bowel syndrome
Common procedures are:
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
Click HERE for a list of Gastroenterology Surgeons that practice at this center.
General Surgery at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center provides surgical treatment for a wide variety of surgical problems in children. Many of our operations can be performed with minimally invasive techniques, as well as through standard techniques.
A highly-trained, expert team of physicians and caregivers are here to ensure your child receives the very best care possible. Our team of pediatric surgeons treats children of all ages, including infants, children and adolescents.
Le Bonheur East Surgery Center is the only surgery center in our area to offer a comprehensive pediatric general surgery program including surgeons, anesthesiologists and specialized nurses and staff dedicated to the care of infants and children.
The program also includes many child and family friendly components including the Bunny Tunnel and a pre-operative teaching.
The general surgery program treats a wide variety of pediatric surgical problems including:
- Inguinal and Umbilical Hernia
- Skin lesion
- Hemangioma and Lymphangioma
- Mass Removal
- Foreign Body Removal
- Laparoscopic Procedures
Click HERE for a list of Pediatric General Surgeons that practice at this center.
Podiatry or podiatric medicine is involved in the treatment of disorders of the foot and ankle. In the US, podiatric medicine is practiced by a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM). At LeBonheur East Surgery Center, commonly performed pediatric podiatric procedures include:
- Toenail Removal
- Tenotomy - Tendon release
Ophthalmology services offered at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center encompass a complete range of eye care services for infants, children and adolescents. Pediatric ophthalmologists provide care for common eye disorders of childhood as well as comprehensive interventions.
Drawing on the unique resources at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center, our team includes pediatric ophthalmologists, anesthesiologists, and other pediatric sub-specialists. These experienced specialists work collaboratively to comprise an eye care team that is unduplicated in the region.
The ophthalmology team provides for eye-related diseases and disorders including:
- Motility and strabismus disorders
- Foreign Bodies
- Tear Duct Repairs
- Dermoid Cysts
- Ptosis Repairs
- Squint (1,2,3 Muscle)
Click HERE for a list of Ophthalmologists that practice at this center.
A child's musculoskeletal problems are different from those of an adult. Because children are still growing, the body's response to injuries, infections, and deformities may be quite different than what would be seen in a full-grown person.
Children with complex pediatric problems are best managed by a medical-surgical team approach. Le Bonheur East Surgery Center specializes in surgery on infants, children and adolescents. Pediatric orthopaedic surgeons diagnose, treat, and manage children's musculoskeletal problems, such as:
- Curly Toe Repair
- Screw/Nail Appliance Removal
- Closed Reduction Internal Fixation of fractures
- Percutaneous Tendo Achilles Lengthening (TAL's) Surgery
- Kinder Procedure
- Epiphysiodesis (Guided growth Surgery)
- Osteochondroma - benign (non-cancerous) bone growth
Click HERE for a list of Orthopaedic Surgeons that practice at this center.
Pediatric otolaryngologists at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center provide surgical treatment for children with disease of the ear, nose and throat. Services include:
- PE Tubes
- Turbinate Reduction
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Fenulum (Tongue Tie Surgery)
Click HERE for a list of Otolaryngologists that practice at this center.
Pediatric Urologists at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center provide surgical treatment for children with disease of the urological system. Drawing on the unique resources at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center, our team includes pediatric urologists, anesthesiologists, and other pediatric sub-specialists. These experienced specialists work collaboratively to comprise an eye care team that is unduplicated in the region.
Some of our more common urological procedures include:
- Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Concealed Penis Repair (Buried Penis Repair)
- Laparoscopic Procedures
Click HERE for a list of Urology Surgeons that practice at this center.